I've had some great finds in the past few weeks that I'd love to share with you!
First up, these items were all on sale at Hobby Lobby. This sweet little bird basket was on clearance for $2.99, marked down from $19.99. The gold N was 50% off for $4.00 and the large bird was on clearance for $1.99!
They've all found homes here in our little casa, with the N receiving a nice coat of Krylon Peekaboo Blue spray paint. I think it fits in nicely on our summer mantel, don't you?
This plant stand was on clearance at Home Goods for $4.99, marked down from $19.99. I thought I could use it as a small nightstand for my side of the bed.
I added this tray that I picked up at Goodwill for $.50 cents on top. It holds a few books, flowers, my glasses and the baby monitor. A perfect fit! I think I want to paint it, but I'm not sure what color yet. For now the items on top of it cover up the design anyway.
I also bought this tray for $.50 at Goodwill. It's on Jason's night stand and holds some pictures. I want to paint this guy, too... but again I'm undecided! Any suggestions?
And a few more good finds...
I brightened it up a little!
A set of 4 coasters for $1.00...
I'm going to put some type of vinyl design on them, but am still deciding.
Oh, and in case you're wondering... here are my spray paint weapons of choice! All by Krylon, the colors are: Peekaboo Blue, Pistachio, Meringue and Catalina Mist.
* I'm sitting in bed, listening to my little man babble himself to sleep. He is "reading" books out loud, possibly to his stuffed animals. For the past few weeks now he ALWAYS has to have books in his crib for naptime and bedtime. It's adorable!
* I have an episode of Friends playing on the TV. It's the one where Ross marries Emily, but says Rachel's name by mistake. What is wrong with that man? He's such a whiny baby... I have no idea how he was married three times! And, if I were Emily, there is NO WAY I could ever forgive him for doing that. On my wedding day. In front of everybody I love. Never.
* I've been craving junk food lately. I'm munching on Combos and drinking a Coke as I write. Probably not the greatest of things to be consuming while pregnant... but, oh well! At my last OB appt, which was Friday, I had only gained 14 pounds... so I think I'll be okay.
* Speaking of my OB appointment, I received some not so great news from my Nurse Practitioner. It seems that my doctor, who is the only doctor in her practice, suddenly retired. Yep, my OB is gone. No letter to her patients. Nothing. She's just gone. I have no idea why. All I know is that two younger doctors are helping take care of her patients until things are sorted out. I'm 33 weeks pregnant and I don't even know who is going to deliver my baby. Talk about scary. There is a new hospital that was built not far from our house and we contemplated switching doctors so that we could deliver there. It's much closer to our house than my current hospital/doctor's office. I decided to stick with my doctor and the longer drive because I had such a great experience with her when I delivered Aidan. And now this. I know that I can switch practices, but I really like all of the staff at this practice, especially the Nurse Practitioner. I will be meeting the two new doctors at my upcoming appointments. Hopefully things work out in the end.
* Have I mentioned yet that Aidan is very interested in the potty? As in, he's pooped twice in the big potty all ready. He told me he had to go and wanted to sit on the potty. So he did. This was about three weeks ago. I went out the next day and bought him his own little potty. He loves to sit on it when I am in the bathroom, but hasn't used it since. I'm not pushing it. Afterall, he's only 17 months. But, I have to say that I am pretty shocked that he is showing interest at such a young age!
* Here is what my belly looks like...
Well, Aidan has finally fallen asleep, so I'm off to do the same.
I've been wanting to make something to display the alphabet in Aidan's new room, but had a hard time figuring out exactly what I wanted to do. I tossed ideas around such as making canvas art, subway art, or using pictures of animals. Ultimately I decided on an easy pennant banner to display the letters for my little guy's learning pleasure.
First, I whipped out my Silhouette. I drew some triangles using the polygon tool and measured them out to the size I was looking for.
Next, I chose a font (Cuckoo, in case you're wondering) and designed/sized my letters. Originally I wanted to have both capital and lowercase letters on the pennants, but quickly realized they would look too busy and cluttered with both sizes. So, I opted just to use the capitals.
If you are using a Silhouette, be sure to right click on each letter and "ungroup", so that the measurements are just for the letter and not the space surrounding it. This ensures that your letters are all the same height.
Next, I glued the letters to the pennants. Since Aidan's room is a jungle theme, I wanted to make sure that his banner was colorful. I used 13 different colors of cardstock and this was the rainbow result!
This next step could've been easily avoided if I had been thinking about it at the time. Be sure to draw in lines to string the ribbon through on the triangle shapes you've created on your Silhouette. That way they will be cut out with the triangles on the machine. I didn't do that and had to measure each and every triangle, then use an exacto knife to cut out the slits for the ribbon. A bit tedious! Next time, I'll know better!
Here is the final result hanging on the wall. I divided the letters into four different strands and hung them on either side of his window. I love how colorful they are!
What do you think?
You could easily make this without a crafty cutter machine. Just create a stencil for the triangles and letters. Or you could even use stickers for the letters!
Cardstock: All ready had
Glue: All ready had
Ribbon: $1.99 for two rolls at Hobby Lobby
Total cost: $1.99
I've also been working on some more Silhouette wall art for his room. Here's a little sneak peek....
Quite some time ago I decided to turn our office/guest bedroom/room where junk goes to die into Aidan's playroom. It's been a godsend to have all of his toys corralled somewhere other than our living room!
After throwing away our guest bed (no complaints about the comfort of our air mattress so far!), we moved the desk and computer into the nook in our master bedroom. I've never been fully happy with this arrangement. Mostly because I did this all on a whim and didn't plan out where all of our office things were going to go once they arrived in our room. It's been a bit chaotic, to say the least.
Slowly our nook is turning into a functional office/craft space that doesn't interfere with the relaxing atmosphere I've been trying to create in our bedroom.
(a view of our bedroom from the door)
I've been trying to make it feel like less of an office and more of an extension of our bedroom. I don't want the space to scream WORK, instead I think a whisper of work when you look at our room gives it a much better vibe.
(a view of the office nook from our bed)
I've been adding touches here and there and wanted to share an easy project that I did the other day, a fabric covered corkboard. I bought a corkboard at Goodwill for $1.99 (much cheaper than the same one I saw at Hobby Lobby for $12.99) and I wanted to pretty it up a bit before hanging it on the wall.
Using some inspiration from other corkboard makeovers, (this gorgeous inspiration board at Honey We're Home and this awesome map board over at Hi Sugarplum were my two faves) I got down to business.
* Corkboard (I spray painted the frame Krylon Pistachio beforehand)
* Spray adhesive
* Sharp scissors
* Fabric pencil
* White thumb tacks
First I measured out my fabric and cut it to size. The fabric was a bit stretchy which made it a little harder to get the size exactly right.
Next, I ironed the fabric. I definitely did not want to take the time to do to this project, only to have it come out all wrinkled! Here's a view of our little "ironing" center. It's in a pretty weird spot, on the wall between our living room and breakfast room. It is convenient to have the board, iron, light and automatic timer all there for us. But, I'd rather it NOT be right in the middle of our main living quarters!
After my fabric was wrinkle-free I sprayed the entire corkboard with adhesive spray. Then I applied the fabric. It was a bit bigger than I had measured after it was ironed, so I used an exacto knife to tuck the excess fabric underneath the frame.
Originally I was going to put tacks all around the entire board, but in the end decided not to. The bright white of the tacks really doesn't go with my cream colored furniture, plus I didn't want it to detract from the fabric I had chosen.
And here is the end result!
I really like how it matches the colors in our room. It hasn't been hung up yet, as there are a few other things I want to do before hanging this bad boy up!
Hopefully I'll have more to share on our little nook/office makeover this week. :)
* Aidan graduated from level 1 to level 2 swimming classes today. We are so proud of him!! They can't start level 3 until they are 30 months old, so we may do level 2 for a bit then call it quits until he is a little older.
* I'm headed to a scrapbooking party tonight. I'm excited! Although, I'm not actually going to be scrapbooking. I am making 3 pieces of wall art for Aidan's new room and I thought I'd take this chance to work on that this evening while I have the time. Pizza + friends + craftiness = super fun!
* Jason and I just realized that I never put in a new trash bag after I emptied the trash can yesterday. Whoops! There were all kinds of goodies in there including ketchup covered chicken nuggets, milk cartons and some yogurt cups. Dinner anyone? He's out back spraying out the trash can with our hose as I type. What a good guy! I guess that means I can chalk another "oops" up to my pregnancy/mama brain. Does it EVER stop?!
* Aidan's toddler bed is up and running. Well, except for a mattress. I take the mattress out of his crib during the day so that he can hang out on his big boy bed. Which he calls his "big bed boy"... Ha ha! He really enjoys it so far. I haven't tried to institute nap time yet in the new bed. I think we'll wait until the start of August for that to begin.
* It was the end of an era for me on Thursday night/Friday morning. This preggo stayed up WAAAY past her bedtime, we're talking about 5 hours past bedtime, to say farewell to Harry Potter and company. I've always thought these movies deserved the respect (and insanity!) of being seen at midnight, so I couldn't let my pregnancy be an excuse to NOT see the final chapter in all of its glory at 12 am. It surely didn't disappoint and I was extremely happy with how the film was made. (Although I still hate that stupid Epilogue and wish JKR hadn't put it in the book or in the movie... but I digress...) I hope to see it again soon!
* We've got a busy week coming up and then next Friday we are headed to Dallas to visit with friends for the weekend. Their son is turning one at the beginning of August, so it will be fun to see how he and Aidan interact.
* I hit the big 32 week mark of my pregnancy this past Thursday. Time is flying by! Oh, and if you're interested, my baby weighs the same as a jicama (3.5 pounds!). I had NO idea what this was and had to look it up... Apparently a jicama is a sweet, root vegetable that looks like a giant turnip! This kiddo is also almost 17 inches long. The baby is a disco dancer inside my uterus, I tell ya! I constantly see and feel that little butt jiggling around and those legs don't disappoint with karate kicks to my bladder! I've also seen the baby's hand push through my stomach three times now, which is very weird and awesome all at the same time. :)
I think that's about it for now. I hope you're all enjoying your weekends!
Last month I participated in Shell's Rockin' the Bump party and gave you all a look at my (then) current baby bump. Today, I thought I'd take you all on a trip down memory lane and look back at my baby, who is suddenly a walking, talking, trouble-making, goofy toddler. Where did the time go??
Here's my little guy hanging out on his boppy at two weeks old.
Taking a nap on Mommy at three weeks old.
Four months old, playing with Daddy.
Enjoying his first birthday cupcake!
My big boy at sixteen months old, after his first haircut. He is so grown up!
It's hard to imagine that he'll be a big brother soon. He will always be my baby! :)
Hi, I'm Emily. Proud wife and stay-at-home-mama to my two little men and one sweet baby girl. Etsy shop owner, amateur sewer, crafter, chef, and home decorator. Target and Pinterest junkie. Lover of animals, DIY projects, books, blogs, rocky road ice cream, movies and a good deal. Life is beautiful!